free geoip

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

A single page of the Ireland manager's application has come into TDH's possession, thanks to TDH's worldwide network of informers. Here it is, for your perusal and use:



THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND
(If you want Gaelic football, they're two doors down on the left.)
(Oh, and say hello to Liam for me.)


Application for the position of: Manager, Men's Senior Squad

SECTION A (QUALIFICATIONS)
Please answer the following multiple choice questions.

1. The trait that most qualifies me for this job is:

a. football knowledge
b. drinking ability
c. boyish good looks
d. fatalism


2. I'm applying for this job because:

a. I dream of leading Ireland to glory.
b. I was fired by Hearts.
c. I think Damien Duff is cute. Hi Damien! Love you!
d. My mum said to get my own place, and I couldn't get a job at O'Neills.


3. My native language is:

a. English
b. Scottish
c. Broken English
d. Portuguese

IF YOU ANSWERED "d" THEN SKIP TO
SECTION C (SALARY REQUIREMENTS)


4. I think Roy Keane is:

a. still a top quality footballer
b. a lost, lonely soul who just needs some tender, loving care
c. a post-pop piano band
d. also applying for this job


5. The first step towards success in Euro 2008 is:

a. giving more experience to our young players
b. an exorcism
c. a trip down to Paddy Power
d. did you know Robinho's real name is Robson?

---

TDH is looking forward more and more to Barcelona's involvement in Major League Soccer. Barca's technical secretary, Txiki Begiristain, already has experience in the American entertainment industry. For a couple years in the late 1980's, he represented several boy bands under the name Mel "Cheeky" Bergstein....

---

Cheeky has had a busy couple of days, which included barring Samuel Eto'o from becoming the world's highest-paid athlete. Eto'o had attracted interest from Al-Ittihad, the team from Saudi Arabia that pulled off one of football's biggest-ever upsets by reversing a 3-1 deficit in the 2004 Asian Champions League final with a 5-0 away victory. They wanted to pay him 3.5 million pounds for a 10-day loan.

So let's say Eto'o managed to play for 200 days out of the year at that rate. That's a cool 70 million pounds - no problem for an oil sheikh, perhaps, but still far more than even Alex Rodriguez makes.

2 Comments:

Blogger the Maradona of Malawi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:47 AM  
Blogger the Maradona of Malawi said...

what I meant to say was:

I'm actually hoping that Milan manage to hijack any English moves for Ballack. As much as I do like Seedorf, I think a midfield trio of Gattuso, Peerless and Ballack would be rivalled only by Chelsea and possibly Barca.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home